Skip to main content

I want to make a claim

We maintain a list of the latest ATOL Holder Failures, where you will find up-to-date information and how to claim.

Each ATOL holder’s situation is different, so it is important that you read the information we publish carefully.

The ATOL scheme aims to protect you from losing money or experiencing difficulties abroad if the travel company you booked with has failed as an ATOL holder.

You may be able to make a claim under the scheme if:

  • You have booked a trip that you are due to take in the future
  • You are abroad meaning your trip has been disrupted or your return flight may be or has been cancelled.

You will not be able to make a claim if:

  • You have not booked an ATOL protected trip with the travel company that has stopped trading
  • Your travel company has not stopped trading
  • You went on your trip and then returned home before the travel company stopped trading.

If you are currently on a trip abroad

If you were given an ATOL Certificate when you paid, read it carefully – it explains who is protecting your trip and what to do.

We will provide support to minimise the disruption to your trip.

Information explaining what arrangements will be made to allow you to complete your trip and fly home will be published on our website and via social media sites, details can be found on our ATOL Failures page.

Please select the relevant Failed ATOL holder for further details.

If you have any difficulties while abroad, make sure you call us on +44 (0) 333 103 6350. We will explain the situation and discuss your options.

If you incur costs due to replacing parts for your ATOL protected trip, you will be required to complete a claim form.

In addition to a completed claim form, we will require:

  • Your ATOL Certificate
  • Evidence of the booking, so include all documentation issued to you
  • Evidence of payment for the replacement items. This can include bank statements, so you may blank out any transactions not associated with the payments to the failed ATOL holder.

The information we publish about the Failed ATOL holder will explain what information we need.

If you’re due to travel

If you are due to travel on an ATOL protected trip and your travel company stopped trading, we will offer advice on what steps to take. We’ll let you know how to claim an ATOL refund.

Our advice will often be either not to travel or, if you are in possession of flight tickets issued by the airline and they have confirmed they are valid, you can travel but you may need to pay for the cost of replacement services and then claim for these afterwards.

These services could include accommodation, transfers, car hire and any other parts of your ATOL protected booking.

Please note that if you choose to travel and use your valid flight, you are not protected under The Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018, as your package travel provider has stopped trading.

You will therefore be responsible for any risks arising from each individual part of your trip which would have previously been protected.

After you submit a claim: Timeline for response

Your claim will be acknowledged within five working days of receipt.  After which, one of our contracted claims agencies will request the required documentation to support your claim.  Once this documentation has been received, your claim will be fully processed as soon as possible. However, there are some circumstances that may mean your claim will take a little longer to process, such as:

  • We are dealing with a high number of claims
  • All the required supporting claim documentation has not been supplied
  • Group bookings with multiple payments
  • Your claim involves a trip booked through a travel agent

General claims settling policy

The Air Travel Trust Fund (ATTF) is the primary source of funding when an ATOL holder fails.

Money from the ATTF is used to meet refund and repatriation costs arising from a failure. The Fund is administered on behalf of the Air Travel Trust (ATT) by the UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).

See the ATT Payment Policy on the CAA website