- The UK Civil Aviation Authority urges festive holiday hunters to make sure their holidays are ATOL protected.
- Almost 3 in 4 people consider ATOL more important since the pandemic.
- 4 in 5 people consider ATOL protection important when booking a holiday.
With families enjoying the festive holidays and thoughts turning to sunny climates for 2022, travellers looking for their next holiday are reminded to check for financial protection when booking their getaways.
Research by the UK Civil Aviation Authority has found that 74% of people consider ATOL protection more important since the pandemic. Given the impact of the pandemic on overseas holidays and travel, ATOL protection is now viewed as more important than ever before.
Booking a package holiday that is financially protected by the ATOL scheme is a straightforward way to protect a trip. ATOL protection means that if the travel company you booked with ceases trading, you will either get your money back, or, if you have already begun your holiday, be able to complete your trip at no extra cost.
Before booking, you should always check that your travel provider is a legitimate ATOL holder. You can do this on the UK Civil Aviation Authority website.
Smart travel tips for 2022
While ATOL protected package holidays provide the best possible level of financial protection, there are other ways of booking trips. Our top tips for travelling in 2022 year are:
- Book an ATOL protected package holiday
- Check cancellation policies before booking
- Take out travel insurance as soon as you book
- Follow the rules and requirements for entry to your destination
- Book on a credit card where possible for Section 75 protection under the Consumer Credit Act
- Check for hidden costs
- Keep up to date with UK Government travel advice and follow advice when returning
Michael Budge, Head of ATOL at the UK Civil Aviation Authority, said:
“With many travellers considering ATOL protection more important since the pandemic, we want to make sure consumers are aware of the financial protection that ATOL provides.
“Whilst travel has not yet normalised, we’re asking holidaymakers to make smart decisions for their well-earned breaks by booking ATOL protected trips.”
View more news